Analog Wines For the Digital Age

Friday, October 22, 2010

Castel Noarna 2005 Lagrein


Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. Take Castel Noarna for example. The wines are great but I just couldn't sell them to save my life. And, as I said, the wines are really good.

Having the 2005 Lagrein from above with dinner tonight and it is just awesome.

Made from organically grown grapes in one of the most beautiful places ever, the little tiny village of Nogaredo in Trentino, right up the road into the mountains from Verona and next to a picturesque castle from the 9th Century.

Clear with a deep ruby core out to a garnet rim. Developing aromas of crushed violets, cranberries, cherry compote, black licorice and a tiny touch of white pepper. Slightly bloody meat and iron/lead pencil in the mouth. Dry with medium plushy-round tannins, surprisingly medium plus acidity and a long, say 5 second, finish. Flavors of cranberry and soy along with that cherry/cranberry combo combine in the mouth to make for a very complex and interesting wine.

Spaghetti with turkey meatballs and marinara sauce, some good bread and a bitter green salad were just the foods to have with this wine on a night when Fall has shown herself for the first time here in SoCal. (And yes, we have seasons, and rain. Too much rain if you ask me. I may have to move back to the Bay Area to find some sunshine!)

My last bottle of this wine and I guess the last one in California as I don't think anyone has picked up this winery to import since we parted last year.

Ah well. La vita va avanti come sempre. I would order some just to drink myself but I think I would have to get so many cases that I wouldn't be able to drink them all on my own.

Care to join me? ;-)


1 comment:

Marco said...

Hi Hi ... Happy you liked it. 2O5 is now long gone here. Pouring 2007 which is possibly better.
Who knows maybe we could sell some more in SOCAL one day.
Would be a good excuse to come down there again and have a good time.

Lunch with Francesca Vaira at Terroni DTLA . . . best lunch ever!

Francesca Vaira  2010 Langhe Freisa Kye` Library  2006 Langhe Freisa Kye` Library 2014 Luigi Ba...